Here comes the second edition of our Kartuga Dev Letter! About three months after the first one, we would like to take the opportunity to once again address the fast growing Kartuga crowd to share our plans regarding current and future development.
We’ve surely come a long way since March, and many issues we promised to address in the last letter have been tackled:
- Matchmaking has improved quite a bit, due to changes to the system, and the much needed increase of player numbers
- A full-blown options menu and customizable controls have been implemented
- The ongoing work on the servers’ stability has already yielded results, but we are aware that there’s still room for improvement
- As you may have noticed, we have included test versions of the Domination maps to gather your feedback regarding which version you like better – feel free to still provide us with your feedback!
We are very happy about now being able to offer more language versions, and about being able to admit more and more players to the game. Of course we’ve also been monitoring the server performance in order to ensure smooth gameplay for the constantly increasing player numbers – we are aware that there are some problems at the moment, and we will make sure to fix them as soon as possible.
Besides continuing to work on the issues already addressed, we are also working on some things that have been suggested by players – we’re always grateful for your suggestions, ideas, and your criticism. PvP is a cornerstone of Kartuga, and we are striving to continuously improve it in order to be able to provide a great multiplayer experience. Currently, these new features are what keeps us busy:
- AFK (away-from-keyboard) detection: nobody likes players who join a match and then don’t play to only harvest the gold; this is why we’re working on implementing an AFK detection mechanism that will prevent matches with players who do not confirm that they’re ready eventually kick players who do not actively play, and lets a queued player join instead
- Rankings: when playing with friends, comparing yourself to their performance is always fun – this is why we’re working on a feature to instantly show your ranking next to those of your pals!
- A new map for Domination is in the making – check out this first draft!
An Outlook on the Future
One thing we will definitely work on is the redesign of the towers: we want to make them look even more beautiful. Furthermore, the new look will make them more distinguishable, providing you with a better user experience because you’ll immediately see what kind of tower you’re dealing with.
Of course we will also continue to work on the client’s stability and performance, and we’re constantly in contact with the guys over at Unity.
Finally, we’d like to improve the visual feedback regarding your level progress by showing what your new level unlocked: what items are now available, and what other nifty stuff can you now get? Of course you’d want to see what your new level unlocks!
We are working hard to improve the game, and would like to thank you for playing and for continuing to provide your feedback!
The Kartuga Developers
Feel free to discuss about this letter at the Kartuga forum!